Never have there been so many fans that can continue to live the fantasy of the playoffs in their future. Only one team is undefeated, every team seems to have obvious weaknesses, and almost every team still has a chance to do something special. With one month down, things are looking up in the NFL. Many young QBs are on the rise; big plays are everywhere, even if the scoring seems a little lower than in years past. This week’s top teams list will focus on the Top 12.
Week 5 Power Rankings
- Philadelphia Eagles 4-0 keep the number one spot and have their next game at home against the AZ Cardinals. They could lose if they aren’t careful, but the odds are in their favor. Look for them to stay in the #1 spot for at least a few more weeks, if not longer.
- Buffalo Bills 3-1, started in the number 1 spot, dropped to 3, and after a solid win against the Ravens, some could even make the argument they belong in the top spot. If I had to pick the AFC team in the Super Bowl today, I’d choose the Bills. The next team is the Steelers, where the Bills are 14-point favorites, if that tells you anything.
- Kansas City Chiefs 3-1 also move up a spot with a win over Tampa Bay and Tom Brady. It probably shouldn’t have been that close, considering all Tom’s team’s injuries, but it was still a win and a solid highlight reel for Mahomes. Next up is the Raiders, which are off to a rough start.
- San Francisco 49’ers, 2-2, beat the Rams so convincingly that I can’t help but move them up to the 4 spot. I’m embarrassed to say I had them in the 20s last week, so here you go, 49er fans. How’s that for an overreaction? Don’t forget they made it to the Super Bowl in the last 5 years, to the NFC championship last year, and are only better this year. Their defense is scary good. Maybe the best in the league.
- Minnesota Vikings’ 3-1 is better than most probably think, and now they are starting to prove it. Their only loss is to the undefeated top-ranked team, the Eagles. They have only one solid win against a good team Green Bay, but they should keep winning for a while with a game against Chicago this week.
- Green Bay Packers 3-1 could be number 5, but since the Vikings beat them, I will rank them accordingly. This team is winning the close ones, but they may be too close. That’s what a QB like Rodgers can do for you. They are favored to beat the Giants this week, so not sure we will learn much unless they lose.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2-2 is another team in the top 7 with a record that is probably deceiving. They have lost a couple of close ones against good teams like the Chiefs and the Packers. This is with significant injuries, and after hurricane Ian ruined a week of regular football for them. I will keep them in the mix, and they get to play Atlanta this week.
- Los Angeles Rams 2-2 is still a good team. The question is just how good. If they can beat the Cowboys this week, I think they will have their mojo back. Still, they need someone besides Kupp. It will be interesting to see what happens this week which is the game I want to see most. The storylines will be fun regardless of the outcome.
- Baltimore Ravens 2-2 has had some tough losses, but they were to the Miami Dolphins and the Buffalo Bills 2 top ten teams. They still need something, and nobody on the team knows what it is or how to get it. They’re a playoff team but not a Super Bowl team yet. They play the Bengals this week and have a chance to prove they can win a challenging game against a tough team desperate for a win themselves.
- Miami Dolphins 3-1 had the most heartbreaking moment of the season, with Tua getting torn up and sent to the hospital. I’m not ashamed to admit I closed my eyes during all the replays. I just couldn’t watch that injury. I’d love to say they can make it without him, but I’m dropping them from 2 to 10 on the rankings. Oddly enough, last year, we didn’t even know if Miami would keep him, and now we’re not sure they can make it without him.
- Jacksonville Jaguars 3-1 could be even better than the 11 spots, but their franchise doesn’t exactly have the winning culture you want to see in a top-ten team. Just too many unknowns, but I’m rooting for this team to do something special this year. This team not only has potential they are fun to watch. They should also win this week against the Texans, which will put them 4-1. When was the last time that happened?
- AZ Cardinals 2-2 is my other big bold ranking right up there, putting the 49’ers in the 4 spot. The Cardinals have some good pieces, even if they are in the toughest division in the league. They have one of the biggest and best comeback wins this year, even if it was against the Raiders. Cowboy fans will kill me for this one, but I promise next week will be different if they beat the Rams, but if the Cardinals can upset the Eagles, it will justify everything. I know it’s a long shot, but I got a feeling.
Cowboys, Bengals, and Chargers are too close to call to break into that top 10 or even 12, but I’m sticking with my picks and rankings for now. Month 2 will be big, with plenty of good teams going head-to-head. Look for more answers in these top 3 games of week 5.
- Cowboys vs. Rams with the latter being 5 point favorites.
- Bengals vs. the Ravens with the latter being 3 point favorites.
- Cardinals vs. the Eagles, with the latter being 5.5 favorites.
I already have my picks but still consider my best three. Watch for who I’m picking to win and cover by Saturday.
- Los Angeles Tribune NFL Power Rankings, Week 5 - October 6, 2022
- Old Themes Become New Again - October 6, 2022
- With one month down the NFL is really looking up - October 6, 2022
- What If the World… Doesn’t End? - September 27, 2022
- Buying a “Ticket to Paradise” - January 29, 2022
- 6 Ways to Attract Your Ideal Audience - January 13, 2022